This 5 gallon bucket occupied a corner of my garage since summer. Long enough!
Do I dare paint my living room with a color someone else gave away?
Mixing leftover paint has proven one of my best moneysaving techniques. Here are a few tips:
- Latex mixes with latex. Avoid oils.
- Interior mixes with interior. Same with exterior.
- If you don't care about the sheen, mix gloss with flat. Otherwise, mix like with like.
- Stay within a small range of colors.
- To lighten a base color, pour a cup of dark paint into a gallon of light.
- To darken, add dark paint cup by cup. The result is hard to reverse.
- For large-scale jobs, mix in a clean trash can. Decant into empty gallon buckets.
Thanks to the Inspired Room for reawakening my love of yellow. Visit the Beautiful Life series for more ways to reinvent your stuff.