Cost: $0, plus the effort of amusing the kids while my husband caulked windows.
Two leftover trim pieces form the topiary skeleton. I don't do power saws, so their length determined the total height.
We broke down a couple of boxes, scaling the bottom "pumpkin" to the width of our pot.
This project would have been prettier with deeper colors, but we were using what we had: leftover mandarin orange paint (armoire), leftover yellow paint (walls) and leftover red paint (front door) to add depth.
Oops! We made the bottom two pumpkins too tall. Since we didn't have room for a third, we painted a green-and-yellow gourd for the finial.
We stapled each shape to the stake, overlapping slightly between layers. The bottom pumpkin sits above the pot rim. We rooted some ivy in the soil to hide the gap.
Our trompe l'oeil topiaries won't last past October, but we enjoyed the project. At least now you can see something pumpkin-ish from the street!