An ice cream sundae bar is an economical way to serve large groups, especially if everyone brings a topping.
I planned the way I usually do: by calling the experts. Maggie Moo's will package individual ice cream cups plus a selection of toppings...for $4 a person. You do the mixing.
I knew we could beat that--and we did, averaging less than $1/person.
Being flexible lent us the best value. For instance, we omitted whipped cream in favor of seasonal fresh fruit.
- Mayfield ice cream $6.47 for a 5-quart pail--$1 more than Aldi, but worth it for flavor.
- Novelty syrups--Smuckers brand at Big Lots.
- Caramel sauce--$3 for a huge can at the restaurant supply store.
- Assorted candies--on clearance at the grocery.
- Brownies & cake--made at home for an extra-special touch.