- 1 stick butter, melted (50 cents)
- 1 egg (.15)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (.10)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar (.20)
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups unbleached flour (.15)
- 6 oz. semisweet chocolate chips ($1)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat melted butter and egg, add sugars and mix well. Stir in vanilla, baking soda, and salt. Mix with flour and chips.
Place 1-inch balls of dough at least 2 inches apart on greased pans. Bake 10 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet. Cookies will continue to crisp out of the oven, yet they remain deliciously thin and chewy.
Approximate cost: $2.15 for about 2 dozen cookies. So much better than storebought!