One advantage of cooking with the sales is that you tend to eat seasonally, too.
Cabbage is popular for St. Patrick's day, and--like the art of psyanky--is also a traditional part of Eastern European Easters.
This recipe for crockpot cabbage rolls has many variations. I cut it by half, because it makes more than we can eat.
Here's the loss leader inspiration for tonight's menu:
- 44-cents/lb Kroger cabbage
- 99-cents/lb. ground beef
- $1/28 oz can tomato sauce
- Spring asparagus ($2/lb)
- Florida strawberries ($1.25/lb.)
- 1/2 cabbage (.50)
- 1/2 lb. ground beef (.50)
- 1 egg (.10)
- 1/2 can of sauce (.50)
- 1/4 cup raw brown rice (.20)
- 1 lb. asparagus, steamed ($2) *save extra, including cut ends
- 1/2 lb. strawberries (.65)
- 1/4 cup orange juice (.10)
- Note: Other seasonings are considered pantry staples and not included here. I omit the sugar and carrot; you can also substitute just about any tomato product for the sauce, even ketchup.
Click here to see ALL the posts in the Iron Chef, Aldi vs. Sale Challenge!