My three-year-old is The New Strong-Willed Child textbook strong-willed child. His weapon of choice is the public meltdown. I can't tell you how many times I've left the cart in the store.
My question is, what do you do when he is throwing such a fit you can't get him strapped in the seat for home?
I've been closing the car door and standing outside until he wears out. Last night a (kindly?) woman stopped at the spectacle and peppered us with questions.
Obviously, we're not doing *something* right; yet what do you do when
- spanking doesn't make a dent
- time out is way out
- and the naughty chair needs its own seatbelt?
Last night we had a parenting powwow. I surrendered my daytime command post and asked my husband to please please please come up with a consistent behavior plan.
I feel guilty putting this on his shoulders because he is the disciplinarian at work, and he should come home to a peaceful home. Yet without his lead, our home will never become this way.
As you read it, you can see it is more for me than for Andrew.
1. Andrew wakes up every day at 7:00 a.m.
2. Andrew is provided with daily structured routines and activities. There will be at least one time in every day for independent play, physical activity, and a video.
3. Andrew will be served a nutritious and balanced lunch. If he chooses not to eat it, he gets nothing until dinner time. (He may choose to eat the lunch later, but nothing different).
4. If Andrew eats his lunch, he may have a healthy snack in the afternoon before 4 p.m.
5. If Andrew has gone the entire day without throwing any fits, he gets to put a gold star on his chart when Dad gets home. This means he gets a drink with dinner. Mom will give Andrew up to 2 warnings before he is told that he won’t get a gold star on his chart.
6. Andrew will be in bed every night by 7:30 p.m. without exception. He may read his books in bed.
7. Every night that he goes to bed on time and stays in his bed the whole night he gets a gold star for bed time in the morning.
8. Every time he poops in the potty he gets a gold star. (He's been regressing here lately.)
9. Whenever he gets 5 gold stars in one category (no fits, bed time, poops in potty), he gets to go to McDonald’s Playland.
Pray for us!